Saturday, March 25, 2017

Swimming with Sharks Pt. 2 Renting a home

This is part two of my tale of what happened during the time we were renting a house.
For three days we patiently waited. Well if you want to count me biting my nails to nubs and then creating a hole in the floor from pacing then I was very patient. I called the realtor fearing the worst. I know I shouldn't but considering this is the second time an owner has opted for selling the house while we were still in it, you cant blame me. So when I called, I was asked a few questions which now I consider to be the moments deciding just how desperate we are to have the place. I answered as any one would and hoped it would be enough. The realtor informed me that they would call me back.
Another day passes and I get the call. Another set of random questions asked and I answered and then I would get a call back later.
In case you are wondering, they (the realtor) have to refer to the owner with my answer and then the owner would tell the realtor what to say or ask me. They are at least keeping me within the loop of a possibility I may get the place. So I waited. When my phone rang I almost jumped out of my chair to answer it. I calmly let out a breath and waited for the result.
The answer was no.
There were certain circumstances the owner couldn't overlook.
I know right!
So why make us wait three days for a result to which it could have taken you ten minutes to decide?
I mean, its like people who go to a fast food restaurant that has been around for the last 75 years, they ate there at as a child and now they are an adult, the menu hasn't changed a whole lot and yet they are standing at the counter going 'yeah, um....let me get uhhhhh.....'
So I contacted my realtor and she was already sending me another list of houses to look at. We scheduled a time and got together. We looked a four more and went through the process again. Filled out another form, another application fee. This one was more than the last one. I dropped off the papers and waited again. During the waiting time we were packing. It was the end of February and I didn't want to be caught with a houseful of stuff and nothing done. My daughter actually came up with a neat system since we had time to really be organized. Last time I was packing and loading a truck at the same time. so boxes were mixed, and we had to open them all to find what we needed.
So she made a list of the items she packed in a box.
The box was labeled 'Her room' and she placed a number on all four sides of the box.
The part I did, which was smart, was I got two sizes of boxes. There are small boxes for heavy stuff and medium boxes for light stuff. I went to the hardware store and bought boxes. It is a waste of time and energy to get boxes from everywhere under the sun. Knowing how I pack, and I'm sure others do the same, a big box means you can put more in it.  But then you cant lift it!
So with all we have, and we have a lot, I went with the strategy she did. The living room, kitchen, our room and sons room was all packed, labeled and numbered.
What open spaces available, were filled with boxes, labeled and stacked. This is also a good reason to have the same size boxes.
Now, being an experienced mover, I did something I hadn't before. With all the moving we have done over the years, I sat down and calculated the amount spent on moving supplies. It was a lot.
Working in a manufacturing plant, I used an item that would help us in our moving so I sat down and made a splurge. The company that supplies our company with tape guns and tape, I ordered some tape and tape guns for us. You have to buy a certain amount which may seem like a lot, but when you add up how much tape you buy at a regular store and even when you pay for a six pack, you may as well buy it online. You are going to want an industrial roll of tape. I got mine from ULine.
With the packing mostly done, and my mind off the pressure, we got the call from the realtor about the house. Another reject.
When I contacted my realtor, I told her this experience reminds me of a movie I saw. The rock, represents the amount of time we have left. The ocean, represents the sea of houses and the shark, represents the process. With each process we are rejected, the shark take a bite out of me. I am on the rock in the middle of the ocean. There are times when there are a lot of houses to choose from and I take the plunge risking life and limb hoping to make it to a buoy (filling out an application) to send up a flare (paying another fee) in the hopes the ship will rescue me.
Now its all we joke about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-Order link for new Paranormal. Lynx's Demons

THIS IS F**KED UP------SERIOUSLY! How else would you describe the hell a man has to go through when he is stuck with an annoying, hateful,...